July 7 – 10:00am – 9:00pm
2017 CelebrateHAMILTON Program:
“Hamilton and his Associates in Elizabethtown.” A full day of events (in both English & Spanish) that will highlight Hamilton’s relationships with key figures from Elizabeth, including Elias Boudinot, William Livingston and Jonathan Dayton. Activities for the day will include historical talks and a book signing, a theatrical presentation, a music concert and a history fair. Don’t miss it!
The following is a tentative schedule of Celebrate Hamilton events that will be sponsored and hosted by The Snyder Academy:
- 10am: Alexander Hamilton: The Man vs. The Musical – A presentation about how Hamilton is depicted in the Broadway show as compared to the real Hamilton, by Rand Scholet, President of the Alexander Hamilton Awareness Society.
- 11am: Hamilton 101 In Spanish: A crash course about Hamilton’s life and legacy, led by Sergio de Villavicencio, South American Chapter President of the Alexander Hamilton Awareness Society.
- 12pm: Hamilton and His Associates in Elizabethtown during the Revolutionary War: Noted Hamilton scholar Michael Newton will introduce new research findings about Hamilton’s relationships with prominent leaders in Elizabethtown during the Revolutionary War, and he will be available to sign copies of his recent book: Alexander Hamilton: The Formative Years.
- 2pm: Colonial Music Concert: A special one-hour concert will feature colonial music played on period instruments.
- 7pm: Staged Reading: The Snyder Academy’s theater company-in- residence, The Actors Shakespeare Company, will produce a staged reading based on the writings of Hamilton, Livingston, Boudinot and Dayton.
- All day – Meet Alexander Hamilton and His Associates: Actors in period costume will mingle with guests throughout the day.
- All day – History Fair: Representatives from area historical sites and organizations will offer information about upcoming programs and tours.
- Multiple times during the day – Hamilton Portrait and Tour: The Snyder Academy’s artist-in-residence, Rafael Rodriguez, will offer a tour of his art studio showcasing his recent portrait of Hamilton as a student at the Academy of Elizabethtown in 1772.
- Multiple times during the day – Snyder Academy Campus Tour: This tour of the First Presbyterian Church and burial grounds will highlight the history of the prominent residents of Elizabethtown who influenced Hamilton, New Jersey and America during the colonial period.
In an effort to encourage all members of the community—especially those living in the city of Elizabeth—to attend and learn more about Hamilton’s roots and influence in Elizabethtown, all programs will be offered free of charge.
For additional information about The Snyder Academy’s Celebrate HAMILTON 2017 program please contact Elliot Dee at Elliot@acadenj.org.